Year 1 Weekly Update – 04/03/22
RE: We are going to hear how Martha and Mary were friends of Jesus and think about how we can be his friends.
Writing – History: We are going to use information books and other available historical resources to learn about Mae Jemison.
Science/ DT: We will begin designing Moon Buggies ready to make them during Science Week. Please can we ask for Junk Modelling materials such as:
- Cereal boxes
- Foil tart tins
- Yoghurt pots
- Bottle lids
- Paper straws
- toilet/kitchen roll tubes
- tin foil
ART: We will continue to create and paint our papier mache models of the Solar System.
Handwriting: We will be learning to form the letter ”b” correctly.
Phonics: We will be learning the sounds listed below:
tch /ch/ match
ture /ch/ adventure
al /ar/ half
a /ar/ father
Our tricky words will be: because , eye, laugh, once, our
What can I do at home? 10 minutes daily reading!
Please reinforce the sounds we have been learning in class and take the time to practice reading and writing real words and tricky words (as listed above)
Maths: This week we will be learning to compare lengths and heights and to measure length using rulers and measuring tapes.
What can I do at home? Support your child at home by practising forming the numbers correctly as well as writing them as words!
Useful websites with fun educational games:
1) Topmarks Maths
2) White Rose Maths App (1 minute maths!)
3) Purple Mash
PSHE-RHE: This week we will be talking about what ”privacy” means and the importance of respecting other’s privacy.
– Shorts to be worn/ put in book bags for children to change into for PE on a Wednesday with Mr Reilly.
– Junk Modelling materials for Moon Buggy making.
Dates for your diary:
– Thursday 3rd March – World Book Day!
– Thursday 17th March – Year 1 Trip to Science Museum
– Tuesday 10th May – Year 1 Mass at 9am
– Friday 24th June – KS1 Sports Morning 9:15 – 10:45am