RE: We will be making our Lenten Promises and learning about the season of Lent. We will hear the story of the Good Samaritan and reflect on the message it has for us.
Writing – History: We are going to use information books and other available historical resources to find out about Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin (the first men to land on the Moon).
Science: We will learn to compare and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of their simple physical properties.
ART: We will continue to create and paint our papier mache models of the Solar System.
Handwriting: We will be learning to form the letter ”l” correctly.
Phonics: We will be learning the sounds listed below:
or /ur/ word
u /oo/ awful
oul /oo/ could
are /air/ share
Grow the code: au aur oor al /or/ author dinosaur floor walk
Our tricky words will be: oh their once our laugh
What can I do at home? 10 minutes daily reading!
Please reinforce the sounds we have been learning in class and take the time to practice reading and writing real words and tricky words (as listed above)
Maths: This week we will be learning to count in 2s, 5s and 10s.
What can I do at home? Support your child at home by practising forming the numbers correctly as well as writing them as words!
Useful websites with fun educational games:
1) Busy things ( click on log in >LGFL >log in as a pupil)
2) Topmarks Maths
3) White Rose Maths App (1 minute maths!)
4) Purple Mash
PSHE-RHE: This week we will be talking about the difference between secrets and surprises and the importance of not keeping adults’ secrets, only surprises.
– Boys and girls with long hair (below shoulder length) should be tied back, this is a health and safety requirement for PE.
– As we are half way through Year 1, please drop off in the playground in the morning to allow your child to come into class independently.
Dates for your diary:
– Tuesday 1st March – Shrove Tuesday and St David’s Day.
– Wednesday 2nd March – Ash Wednesday, Lent begins
– Thursday 3rd March – World Book Day!
– Thursday 17th March – Year 1 Trip to Science Museum
– Tuesday 10th May – Year 1 Mass at 9am
– Friday 24th June – KS1 Sports Morning 9:15 – 10:45am