The children have settled extremely well in their new classes and there have been lots of happy smiley faces!
Maths: This week, we spent some time recalling Maths previously taught in Year 1, activities included: ordering numbers, place value understanding, addition and subtraction learning and their knowledge of shapes.
We were then able to move onto our first Year 2 Maths Unit: Place Value. The children used a range of concrete resources to demonstrate their understanding of 2-digit numbers.
During this unit the children will:
- Read & write numbers to at least 100 in numerals and in words.
- Recognise the place value of each digit in a two digit number (tens, ones)
- Identify, represent and estimate numbers using different representations including the number line.
- Compare and order numbers from 0 up to 100; use <, > and = signs.
- Use place value and number facts to solve problems.
- Count in steps of 2, 3 and 5 from 0, and in tens from any number, forward and backward.
RE: In class we discussed the importance of being chosen and how makes us feel when we are chosen for something. We then thought about what makes us unique and looked at ourselves very closely. We drew a self portrait to put on our RE display to thank God for choosing us and to show that we are all part of His family.
Literacy: In literacy the children have been writing about real life experiences using capital letters and full stops. The children have thoroughly enjoyed settling back into writing lessons and are looking forward to starting their new topic ‘beachcombers’ next week.